Monday, October 30, 2023

One of those days

Just do what you can on the day.  You can't be all there all the time.  That's what I'm telling myself.  

Instead of going upstairs at 7:00 and practicing, I ate some chocolate and fell asleep in the rocker-recliner for an hour.  But when I woke up, I did do something related to learning to play drums.  

Drumeo Method is calling on me to execute a single-stroke roll 10 minutes a day for 30 days.  But I don't remember being told how to do one in the first place.  So I looked around for more information and found it, which helped.  Still, I would have thought they'd explain how it's done before assigning it.  One of the other videos I found said to go slow first, and then go fast.  Define "slow" and "fast", is what I think.  How many beats per minute are there in a "slow"?

Some videos consisted of one guy going at top speed without explaining how to get to that point.  I know I'm not the only one to bristle at drum demonstrators showing off when I want them to teach me instead.  It's something like watching a magician perform a trick -- nothing against you doing it, as long as you also teach me to do the same thing, if I'm paying you for it.  

From here on out, it looks like it's going to be practice, practice, practice, repetition, repetition, repetition.  The moves aren't super difficult when done slowly.  Accuracy is just as important as speed.

And anyway, I'm paid up through next November, so there's time to see what I'm capable of.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest direction

The most recent section of the Intermediate part of legacy Method has some standard beats and fills for different types of songs.  The last ...