The following is taken from an email sent by a teacher who is looking to sign up new students.
By now I know that it can't be done in an hour a day, either. When I began, I was aware that every minute learning one thing kept me from learning a half-dozen other necessary skills. That used to bother me a lot more than it does now.
I did lose weight, eventually, and while I believe I'm in no danger of putting it all back on, there is a daily struggle to keep away from the stress eating and mindless snacking that can do it. Learning one language other than English is an incomplete achievement. I can read the news fairly well, but the kind of writing that contains literary allusions or requires historical context are still out of reach. So I've probably done better than many, but am far from expert at either task. I can probably do the same with drumming. I'll be able to do some things, but not at an expert level, which is understandable and acceptable. The learning process keeps my attention and has to be good for keeping my mind active.
It's most satisfying to concentrate on one task for as long as it takes, such as the learning process I used for the basic drumline warmup or the basic bossa nova. Fifteen minutes on one rudiment and ten more on a fill will only frustrate me. I'd rather take an hour on one subject.
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment