Tuesday, July 29, 2025

I like this

This "curiosity, not mastery" thing is working out pretty well.  If I think I don't feel like doing anything, I can always talk myself into putting on a video of some kind, whether Drumeo Method or something non-Method, or something on YouTube from Mike Barnes, slowed down to 75%.  If I feel like tapping along somewhere during the video, I tap, and if I don't, I don't.  More often than not, I do.

Saw a video today of a master juggler.  All the practice it required to make it look so easy.  But hey, I can juggle, too.  Just three balls, and just one pattern, and it's not nearly as smooth as the master does it, but I learned how to do it back in 1978, before there were any YouTube videos to show me how, and I haven't forgotten how.  

Forty-five years later, I overcame fears of the unknown and of failure and watched a video that promised to teach me how to drum in 10 minutes.  Then I put in the time and effort and learned how.  The difference is that unlike juggling, I was curious to know more.  

If I never get up to full speed the way the pros do it, I can be happy if I am able to play it, only a little slower.  The important thing to me is learning how the magic trick is done, not in exact duplication of the trick.  Curiosity, not mastery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest direction

The most recent section of the Intermediate part of legacy Method has some standard beats and fills for different types of songs.  The last ...