Tuesday, February 24, 2026

Still at it

Probably should have posted when it happened.  Drumeo's parent put out a new app and revamped the website, and I immediately ran into problems.  The oddest one came when I was on a Practice screen on my iPad, and when I tilted the tablet slightly, the video continued but the audio faded out.  It didn't happen with the Android app, but always happened with Apple's OS.  I sent a note with that and other issues to their support team, and got a friendly thank you in return.  

Currently working on exercise #2 under Pocket Practice, and there has been improvement.  I can play it correctly at about half speed, but no faster yet.  Also finishing up the bass drum doubles lesson section after a week of work.  

I'm spending more time on Pocket because I realize that is what interests me most about drumming.  What I don't care about are flashy drum solos at high speed.  But an interesting drum part, moderately paced, like Come Together or The Sweetest Taboo or (of course) Home At Last makes me want to learn more about it.  I may never get there myself, but if I can learn the process and play it, even far slower than the original, I'm satisfied knowing how the magic trick is done.  

The new version of Drumeo keeps track of days practiced and time practiced.  But, that's only based on their timer, which is set to their full speed BPM.  When I'm learning a lesson, I slow down the audio and video, which means I can play for 10 minutes at 50% of full speed, but get credit only for the five minutes that elapse on the timer.  Also, I like playing along with the video of the instructor, again at a speed less than 100% of the original.  The old app and website divided options between 50%, 75%, and 100%, but now only 50% and 100% are available.  

Haven't played around with the Purdie Shuffle in a couple of days, concentrating on Method practice instead.  Should be able to get back into it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest direction

The most recent section of the Intermediate part of legacy Method has some standard beats and fills for different types of songs.  The last ...