Of course, it wasn't long after finishing the previous post that I went back and tried to fix the problems. (Although it didn't feel like "of course, I'm not really quitting" while writing it.)
The following day, I tried again, and got a little bit better. Still made blunders, only not as many.
The day after that, same result. A bit better still, although not without errors of omission and errors of commission. I wrote a kind of framework that recognized where I was going wrong before. Actually, I'd tried putting down on paper that kind of framework more than once, but this was the first of them that I thought was helpful. It contains just the essentials, simplifying each section to its constants, then adding one more line with the variables, and a third line with the gotchas that had tripped me up in the past.
YouTube offered me a video for practicing flute, not drums, but it contained guidelines for learning a piece that I felt would apply. I looked over the latest framework with them in mind.
Which brings us to today. In the rocker/recliner I went over the piece mentally, without audio or sheet music. Then with the music slowed down, I tapped on the arms of the chair and on my legs and kept up reasonably well.
Around 8:30, I came upstairs and set up the laptop with Drumeo and powered up the e-kit. One quick slow run-through -- quick, as in 4 bars per section instead of 8 or 16; slow, as in 50% speed on the click.
After all that, I felt better about my chances and played the full song along with the instructor at 50%. Biggest problem was rushing, but there were nearly no errors this time, limited to things like an extra kick in the first chorus and a missing snare in the bridge.
After a moment's rest, the instructor started the song again, and so did I, only this time at 60%. Same kind of result, containing errors, but not many. While I wasn't 100% accurate, it was better than 90% and maybe better than 95%.
Full speed (113 bpm) sounds out of reach, because it requires speed as well as accuracy, and the kind of speed that is out of reach at this time. If I can get it to 75-80%, I'll give myself an A and go on to something else. At long last!
No comments:
Post a Comment