Friday, January 19, 2024

Getting serious

All these were done on the pad, but they were done.  

Down in the Bottom: 100% bpm.  Still need work on that intro-to-verse fill that isn't in the song, the rest was OK.  

Ob-La-Di: chorus to bridge and back to verse, not full speed yet, but I did play it.  

Tacky: chorus 2 to bridge to chorus 3, getting there; not full speed yet, but I did play it.

Half-time shuffle workout: pushing into Intermediate level, I'm able to follow the instructor and just need to train the hands and feet to do their part.  I compared the workout sheet music to the Drumeo transcription of Home At Last and saw similarities everywhere, even identical bars here and there.  Stopped there.  Going forward, I can see me playing it successfully, not a perfect transcription, but a reasonable facsimile.  Unless they say they're going to perform an identical cover, the performance is subject to the interpretation of the musician, who's allowed some leeway based on experience and their personal style (if any).

I don't know enough to say whether Sina's version is note-for-note, but it's closer than Yoyoka's.  I watched Y's version and followed it with her cover of Tool's Forty-Six and 2 (I wonder how it'd sound alongside Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4).   To me, she looked like she was enjoying playing Tool more than Steely Dan.  Facial expressions, body language, and when she played things that weren't on the SD original, perhaps it was only to keep herself interested.  She had already recorded videos of covers of Fool in the Rain (the Bonham shuffle) and Rosanna (the Jeff Porcaro shuffle), and it wouldn't be surprising to learn that there had been numerous requests for her to finish the trifecta with the Purdie shuffle.  Anyway, I'd be surprised if it had been her idea to cover it, and I think it showed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest direction

The most recent section of the Intermediate part of legacy Method has some standard beats and fills for different types of songs.  The last ...