A couple of times in the past month, I decided to sell the drum kit and move on, and if it hadn't been for the realization that I'd have to disassemble it and put it back in the box exactly as it had come, I'd have followed through. One cheer for inertia.
The question seems to be: "If you aren't training to be an accomplished professional, or at least a skilled amateur, why are you bothering?"
I know how to do a basic backbeat, along with some variations like four-on-the-floor. I know how to do a shuffle, and on a good day I can do a few measures of a reasonable facsimile of a Purdie Shuffle. I understand ghost notes. Transitions from a beat to fills are still a challenge. I have patience, while repetition isn't my strong suit. I don't need or want a PhD in drumming -- I'd be OK with an associate's degree.
A week or so ago, I moved the laptop out of the family room because it was too easy to settle into the recliner after supper, nap for a little while, and putz around with videos and games until going to bed.
Now I go upstairs around 8:00 and follow the lesson plan for an hour. Monday, I warmed up, then worked on a Method lesson. That took up the full hour; if there'd been more time, I'd have practiced a song or two. Yesterday, I worked on learning the entire warmup routine, and made good progress on the trickier parts. Although that's all I did, it is progress and I'm not dissatisfied with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment