Monday, March 24, 2025

Well, whaddaya know?

I can play a simple consistent bossa nova beat at 80 bpm.  Total time to get to this point:  2 weeks.  Is that slower than a person with inborn talent could learn it?  Well, yes, probably.  

But what was the actual time on task?  Some days had more than others.  One hour a day for 14 days?  No, probably less than an hour a day average.  

I did as much as I could at a given time.  Maybe 20 minutes upstairs on the kit or the practice pads, but also while sitting in the rocker-recliner downstairs, some time tapping on the hat (left armrest) and the snare (right thigh) while moving the right ankle back and forth to simulate the kick.  

A half-hour ago, I put on a 100 bpm YT video at 80%, and building up the layers, from hat to hat plus kick to all three, I played it on the kit for about 10 minutes straight.  Then I fiddled with a little faster, and it wasn't A+, but I never went off the rails, either.  So there's an accomplishment.  Doing a basic money beat was a low bar, and while that was also an accomplishment, the degree of difficulty makes the bossa nova more satisfying.

OK, the moment's over.  Back to business.

Which is?

Hmm.  Getting back on course in Method sounds good for a start.  Then this afternoon I learned about How to Practice Pocket, which sounds like something I'd enjoy, and that's all the reason I need.  

OK then.  (1) Warm up with the bossa nova for two or 3 five-minute chunks at 85 bpm. Appreciate the sense of accomplishment.  (2)  Drumeo Method, Styles unit 5, Modern Country Beats and Fills for a half-hour.  (3) Watch chapter one of How to Practice Pocket. (4) Close with the Sugarfoot pocket practice to cool down and build confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest direction

The most recent section of the Intermediate part of legacy Method has some standard beats and fills for different types of songs.  The last ...