A good time today. Started by playing along with the Billie Jean basic backbeat as played by the man who played it on the original song. That's a decent warmup, and it was followed by a drumline warmup that gets up to a pretty fast rate of speed. I haven't tried it for quite awhile, so it was a pleasant surprise that I made only one small bobble over 5 minutes.
Then some six-stroke rolls apps practice, still at reduced speed (70 is more than I can do so far) but not much slower. I think tomorrow will be the last day I spend on it. One week on each of the rudiments will be enough for the first time around.
After that came an unscheduled break. First thing this morning, I was trying to resolve an issue between a huge health insurance company and a huge medical system. That went more smoothly than I feared. But this afternoon, I had to try to resolve an issue between a huge bank and a little private citizen. The good news is that there was a satisfactory outcome, even though it took the better part of an hour.
When that wrapped up, it was time to eat, then time to walk, and other essential non-drum-related tasks.
But here I am, after practicing pocket on a simplified half-time shuffle for a good 15 minutes. Still not second nature, I still have to think before playing. Earlier in the year, I started learning a basic bossa nova beat, which took days and days to get under control, but I did it. Now I can perform it like I type the words on this page. I want to type these words, and all I have to do is make sure my fingers are on the right keys before beginning. I imagine that's how expert musicians play, just letting go.
It's all good, or good enough that I want to keep at it. And, putting my money where my mouth is, this evening I signed up for another year of Drumeo plus a pair of in-ear monitors.
No comments:
Post a Comment