So now I'm done with Singeo, done with the side Challenge of speeding up the hands, and Moeller is staring me in the face.
The first day I tried the 3-stroke exercise, I couldn't control the stick even at slower speeds. I was hitting all over the pad and coming dangerously close to missing it altogether. Thoughts were that it was going to take a good long while to get better at it, but I accepted it. It's not something I could have said years ago when I took guitar lessons or piano lessons.
The difference?
When I started guitar, and years later, piano, I wanted to play songs, not do drills. With drums, that's been reversed. I have lots of sheet music, but I can talk myself into practicing rudiments a lot quicker than trying to play songs.
Besides growing up, it's "curiosity over mastery", I guess. I'm still watching interesting drum videos on YouTube, even if some of the content is targeted to intermediate to advanced drummers who get the gigs.
Tonight was the 3rd or 4th day of 3-stroke Moeller, and there's been improvement. It wasn't overnight improvement, and I'm still miles away from proficiency, but this time I played the exercises for left and right hands at the designated speed of 60 bpm. RH: all 6:40 of the metronome. LH: the last minute of the 6:40 metronome, after 3 minutes at 40 and 2 more at 50. You'll not be surprised to hear that I stopped to rest halfway through the LH side. Didn't expect this much improvement this soon.
Planning to continue playing around with 3-stroke on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and if I'm still improving I think I'll be ready to go to the next lesson on Monday. I saw an 80/20 Drummer video where the instructor quoted one of his students as saying the more he learns, the more he wants to learn and play. I'm not at that point and may never reach it, but hope that eventually I'll feel at least a little bit that way too.
No comments:
Post a Comment