Friday, June 12, 2026

A little bit every day

It's not like there's a high bar to get credit for a day, but you do have to make at least some effort.  I believe I've earned the vast majority of them.   

Lately, I've repeated the intermediate-level 30-Day Independence challenge.  The instructor has provided some advice to go with the examples, but in my case I felt like it was necessary to do more to get it right.  

He said I'd have to use my right hand on the crash, but for the transition from verse to chorus, I had to figure out that I'd be going from an ostinato of right foot-left hand to right hand-left foot.  Maybe that wouldn't help someone else, but it helped me.  

I would visualize the right hand going downward on the ride cymbal and simultaneously pushing up the left foot in preparation for the low-hat to follow.  

Also, the last bar of the chorus, I need to remember not to pull up the left foot, even though the right foot will still be used on the kick for the first beat of the 2nd verse.  


So for 15 bars and 3 full beats, it's right hand down on the ride and left foot up on the hat.  But on the and of beat 4, the left foot has to stay down or else I'll get the wrong sound when I hit the hi-hat on the and of 1.

Experience tells me that I only need that level of detail until muscle memory is trained, and after that I tend to forget those devices.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest direction

The most recent section of the Intermediate part of legacy Method has some standard beats and fills for different types of songs.  The last ...