Wednesday, May 27, 2026

A step forward...

The YouTube algorithm keeps serving me drum videos, and one from last night was a winner.  Described as "Steve Jordan practice loop, 92 bpm", I listened, I liked, and tried something more.

First, I recorded it using a DAW, then slowed down the playback and came up with a tab:


It felt like an accomplishment.  Then I added the audio file and the tab text to the non-Drumeo "beats" subfolder in Explorer with full intentions of coming back to it before long.  


Today's Day 12 30-Day Independence was at least a half-step back.  Just too much too soon for me.  Even slowing it to 75% didn't put it in my strike zone.  Going to spend another day on it, and probably more than one more day.  Previous appointment scheduled for tomorrow, though, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Ash Soan's Kick/Snare/Hat is complete, and from the last lessons I didn't get much I can use.  They're described as being for Advanced students, so I'll just nod and (maybe) keep the knowledge in the back of my mind.  

That's what I did with my last job, noting that something was possible in Excel, and even though I couldn't use it at the time, a couple of years later I recognized that it could help with a problem the team was having.  

I tried applying it and it failed.  Then I looked up more information, and then still more, repeating when necessary, never despairing that I didn't have natural talent (or whatever it is that comes to mind when I don't nail a drum exercise on the very first attempt).  

There are magazines and websites out there, but if something doesn't have an accompanying video, I'm not digging any further.  Always need to keep separating the drum info that I can use now (or at least, before too long) from the stuff that the drummer in the video has recorded but doesn't apply to me because it's metal or thrash or punk.   Not too advanced, not too simple.  Especially, not too fast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest direction

The most recent section of the Intermediate part of legacy Method has some standard beats and fills for different types of songs.  The last ...