I've always said I wasn't going to eat, drink, sleep and breathe drumming, but I believed it was interesting enough for me to commit to lessons and equipment. That hasn't been the case lately, and I think it's a me problem.
It's not just drums. While up to now I have always enjoyed the process of taking pictures of cats, tagging the files, then using ACDSee to edit them for upload to the TP site, this past Sunday I can't say I enjoyed the first part of it. Just going through the motions, feeling more like a job than the usual "take pictures of what you can't *not* take pictures of" alertness and flow.
Haven't been reading or listening to much French either, so there's my three main retirement activities and not getting much pleasure from any of them. Learning OpenShot and how to use ScreenShot.io to obtain clips are taking most of my attention. But even so, it shouldn't eliminate all desire for photography, for a foreign language, or a musical instrument.
I had been learning steadily about half-time shuffles, and the Purdie in particular. Then I woke up one day and didn't want anything to do with any shuffles in particular or drums in general, so I took several days off, waiting for the desire to return. But it didn't, so I made an effort to get on the stool and begin catching up.
A simple Billie Jean groove workout was good, and refreshing my muscle memory on the basic half-time shuffle went only a little worse than before. Wrapped up with Ob-La-Di, playing that little fill correctly 3 of 4 times.
No comments:
Post a Comment